Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Mother in Law's towel


When I did our laundry this morning I had to take my Mother in Law's laundry out first and while I was hanging out the laundry to dry I found a towel in there that gave me a shock.
The towel was covered in something I identified as fungus and it had two wholes in it the size of my head.
Could it really be?
Was my Mother in Law one of those silent protesters against the throw away society we live in, A society that produces products that can be used maybe ten times and you have to buy a new product. Not like it was in the old days when they made products that could last half your life.
It lit a spark in me. Yes, the long gone Idealist in me woke up. Lets stand on the barricades to fight against this throw away society.
Lets protest against Mc Donald's for serving us burgers that probably only half exist of meat!
Lets protest against all those brand name clothing lines that over charge for their clothes while they are probably manufactured by children somewhere in China!
Lets protest against the razor blade companies that produce razorblades at expensive prizes and you can only use them once or twice!
But pretty soon all those ideas started to tire my out and the thought occurred me that maybe my Mother in Law isn't really a silent protester.
Maybe she just loved the towel and couldn't find the hart to throw it away or maybe she just keeps it for other things than drying herself(although I don't think there is much you can do with this one).
So slowly the Idealist in me faded away again and another idea rose from out my gray braincells: Maybe I should just buy my Mother in Law a new towel!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

LOL!! Mothers in law are a known strange breed though Cristian! I know my last one was - breaking up with her equally odd son was like breaking up with her! Relief!!

Just say gracias a Dios that she only stretches to keeping a towel forever - the stories I could tell you about my last mother in law....!!!

ss_blog_claim=775df951d3a1e3ed9c319416e4ab94a3 ss_blog_claim=775df951d3a1e3ed9c319416e4ab94a3