Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Wife's Cultureshock Experience

It’s been more then a month now since I’ve moved back to Belgium with my wife who’s from Singapore. She is homesick and looks sad most of the time, she doesn’t want to leave the apartment on her own even to the shop, she would rather wait for me to come back from work.

When I First met her, she was living and working in Thailand. She had lived there for almost three years all by herself and she told me before that she loved to be away from home.

Well, I guess Thailand is not that far from Singapore, it’s only about 1 and half hour journey to Singapore by flight and she could even travel by bus to Singapore which only cost about $50 Sin dollar.

It’s a bit different here in Belgium, as it is thousands of miles away from Singapore and the cost of a flight is much more expensive, so she can’t just go home to see her family whenever she want to.

Thailand is still part of south east asia while Belgium is in Europe, the environment is so much different including the weather, maybe I should give her more time to settle down getting used to her new surrounding.

I’m a bit worried about my wife, wish I could do something to ocupy her time. I guess signing her up for a dutch class or even french class would do her good so she would make friends and get out more often. I really hope she would be more happy in few months time.

After all my travels I know it’s sometimes hard to adjust to a new culture and lifestyle, but I know my wife is a strong woman and she will find her way here in cold, cold Belgium.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=775df951d3a1e3ed9c319416e4ab94a3 ss_blog_claim=775df951d3a1e3ed9c319416e4ab94a3